- at least SFFMA Firefighter I certification (or Accredited Intermediate Firefighter issued prior to January 1, 2015); AND
- an approved instructional course including but not limited to:
- Methods of Teaching for the Fire Service
- Instructional Techniques for Company Officers
- American Heart Association Core Instructor coursework
- TCFP or NFPA Instructor I or higher
- Bachelor's degree in any field
Although full coordinator certification requires firefighter and instructional coursework, a department just starting in the Certification Program may not have personnel meeting this requirement. In these situations, the department can name a coordinator provisionally. Provisional status grants the applicant five years from the date the application is received in the Austin Office to compile and submit the necessary documentation for the full requirements.
When the certification office receives the required documentation, they automatically remove the provisional status and issue full certification. Additional application and fees are not required.